We develop electronic devices using organic and bio- materials such as cells, proteins, gels, carbons, and conductive polymers that are useful in the field of medicine, health, cosmetic, and IoT society. Based on electric, electronic, and information technology as the core, we flexibly incorporates technologies from different fields such as mechanical, biological, chemical, and micro-nanomachine engineering.
Students can work on a research theme of their choice under the guidance of the professor. We mainly focus on the following experimental themes, including the fabrication of microchips, sensors, actuators, energy devices, wearable devices, etc., but we will also conduct theoretical research that incorporates artificial intelligence. You don’t need prior knowledge of organic and biological systems, but you can learn them after you are assigned to the laboratory. However, you will use your knowledge of electrical systems, so please learn the basics in the department.
- Organic Electronics
- Flexible Wearable Organic Battery: Creating energy devices made of organic materials that are highly soft to stick to the human body.
- Bio-conformable Organic Electrodes / Electronics: Creating electrical stimulation and recording devices by processing wet organic materials that can be embedded in the body and operated under wet condition.
- Bio Electronics
- Artificial Neural Circuits and Bio-AI: Creating devices using living neurons as a new form of artificial intelligence.
- Skin Electronics: Creating electrical interfaces with the skin for use in cosmetic and healthcare.
- Bio-inspired Soft Robots: Creating life-like robots by utilizing soft organic materials.